Stay AWAY! Transmission issue in Tacoma

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
Looks like Toyota is having some serious problems with the transmissions on the new Tacomas. Considering the 4R is getting the exact same power train, I would seriously advise everyone to take a step back and see how they handle this before jumping into a new 4Runner. After reading a lot of info online, it seems like the issue is seriously understated. I get that Toyota has to protect their reputation and play damage control, but I think the cat's outta the bag on this one! Is Toyota forsaking their own values and going cheap-o? Let's hope not!

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
being that it’s built at the same plant as the Land Cruiser, similar engine, wouldn’t that be a better comparison?

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Toyota has some serious issues on its new /updated designs. We need to take this seriously and not keep making excuses or saying this plant vs that plant. It starts at the top and it would serve us all well to make sure we are getting great value for our hard earned money.
The part I find disconcerting is Toyota is so silent and secretive about what they are doing to correct these known issues.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Looks like Toyota is having some serious problems with the transmissions on the new Tacomas. Considering the 4R is getting the exact same power train, I would seriously advise everyone to take a step back and see how they handle this before jumping into a new 4Runner. After reading a lot of info online, it seems like the issue is seriously understated. I get that Toyota has to protect their reputation and play damage control, but I think the cat's outta the bag on this one! Is Toyota forsaking their own values and going cheap-o? Let's hope not!
We are the ones that Toyota will listen to when we don’t rush out and buy their products .
There has to be a good reason why the 4Runner MY25 is being pushed back for months on its initial release. There are known issues.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Haven't heard of any delays, also haven't heard of an official release. Reminder: the LC was pushed out as well.

What I see is the US & Mexico NON Hybrid engines having some challenges per media influencers, and yet the trucks continue to sell. Does the Sequoia iForce Max have similar issue?
In a way, I look at this similar to the issues that went on with the Subie engines, and yet those continued to sell, and Subaru fixed them as they came up.

I also think that economy will attribute to a slacking off of new car purchases. Along with other high cost items, people are making choices. And perhaps this could influence them.

OP
OP
Scott2373

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
being that it’s built at the same plant as the Land Cruiser, similar engine, wouldn’t that be a better comparison?
No, because the LC uses a completely different (8-Speed) transmission. The 4R and the Taco use the EXACT SAME powertrain. Where they're built has nothing to do with this particular issue.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Ok so the warning is out for engines that were built in Mexico? AND US? using non hybrid engines of a specific transmission type.
Think it's worth watching, personally, I'm not changing my choices at this time.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Let’s clarify things! Tacoma is build in Mexico, Landcruiser and 4 Runners are build in JAPAN!
Not sure about this obsession about vehicles being made in Japan. The Prius is manufactured in Japan and it has been on a recent recall. Actually it was a stop sale order. So it is a company thing not just blaming workers.

As well, when all is said done, it is still Toyota’s name on vehicles. So made in Japan, Canada, USA or Mexico what difference should it make, they still need to send out a product that people can trust.

Last edited:

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Tacoma's have been built in Mexico since 2005. Location is 100% irrelevant.
Until recently, I thought some of the Tacos were built in Texas? In any case, cannot agree it is irrelevant. Just view some of the plant videos. Professionalism abounds in Japan, but not in the U.S. Admittedly, have not viewed any videos from the Mexico facilities. This said, would still purchase a Tacoma made in Mexico over the competition.

Last edited:

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Until recently, I thought some the Tacos were built in Texas? In any case, cannot agree it is irrelevant. Just view some of the plant videos. Professionalism abounds in Japan, but not in the U.S. Admittedly, have not viewed any videos from the Mexico facilities. This said, would still purchase a Tacoma made in Mexico over the competition.
It may abound in Japan, but again it is not infallible if the new way is not the right way. As I stated earlier, the Prius has had a stop sale order put out, and this vehicle has the Japan stamp on its VIN.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Would not going thin on the frames allow them to rust through faster? Hope the fully-boxed frames are adequately coated on the interior.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
It may abound in Japan, but again it is not infallible if the new way is not the right way. As I stated earlier, the Prius has had a stop sale order put out, and this vehicle has the Japan stamp on its VIN.
The bottom line is, MUCH cheaper labor in Mexico, and most likely not as stringent environmental regulations. Not familiar with the Prius issue. The present Tundra fiasco applies to engines manufactured both in Japan and the U.S., so some sort of a machining spec issue?

Last edited: