Stay AWAY! Transmission issue in Tacoma

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
The bottom line is, MUCH cheaper labor in Mexico, and most likely not as stringent environmental regulations. Not familiar with the Prius issue. The present Tundra fiasco applies to engines manufactured both in Japan and the U.S., so some sort of a machining spec issue?
Again, irrelevant where Toyota chooses to have their product manufactured. They have their name on the vehicle, and have to be accountable to the consumers. Do you really think the average person gives a rats about where it was put together? They see the name and believe it should be reliable. That is being questioned right now.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Again, irrelevant where Toyota chooses to have their product manufactured. They have their name on the vehicle, and have to be accountable to the consumers. Do you really think the average person gives a rats about where it was put together? They see the name and believe it should be reliable. That is being questioned right now.
Again, I do not believe it is irrelevant, but we can respectfully disagree. You are correct, the average person typically cares less regarding the country/plant of manufacture. However, many on the Toyota forums do. So, you do not think there would be a measurable quality difference if the new 4Runner was made in Japan or Mexico? Call me biased, but I would prefer Japan. The automotive engineer on the YouTube AutomotivePress reinforces my preference, albeit his primary benchmarks are body panel fit and paint quality, not my primary concerns. Check out his tour of the Tahara plant.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Again, I do not believe it is irrelevant, but we can respectfully disagree. You are correct, the average person typically cares less regarding the country/plant of manufacture. However, many on the Toyota forums do. So, you do not think there would be a measurable quality difference if the new 4Runner was made in Japan or Mexico? Call me biased, but I would prefer Japan. The automotive engineer on the YouTube AutomotivePress reinforces my preference, albeit his primary benchmarks are body panel fit and paint quality, not my primary concerns. Check out his tour of the Tahara plant.
It is not about agreeing or disagreeing, personally it is your dime, spend it as you see fit. Just trying to put out there that Toyota is not necessarily the be all end all. Again don’t you think that quality should not have a preference where it is created? Toyota should want a quality reliable product no matter where they decide to manufacture it.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
It is not about agreeing or disagreeing, personally it is your dime, spend it as you see fit. Just trying to put out there that Toyota is not necessarily the be all end all. Again don’t you think that quality should not have a preference where it is created? Toyota should want a quality reliable product no matter where they decide to manufacture it.
Toyota is definitely not "be all end all". Am very torqued with their ordering system, i.e. it is "what you see is what you get" for the most part. One can no longer factory order a vehicle. Arrogance, but I am sure they see it as efficiency.

visually oriented

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q3
We are the ones that Toyota will listen to when we don’t rush out and buy their products .
There has to be a good reason why the 4Runner MY25 is being pushed back for months on its initial release. There are known issues.
Mind sharing your reliable source stating MY25 4Runners are being delayed?

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
"Bronconomore said:
We are the ones that Toyota will listen to when we don’t rush out and buy their products .
There has to be a good reason why the 4Runner MY25 is being pushed back for months on its initial release. There are known issues."

What are the known issues? It appears to be essentially an extended cab Tacoma. Back to the origin of the Taco. Possibly the known issues with the Tacoma, such as transmission overheating?

OP
OP
Scott2373

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
The delay is probably more related to the CDK hack, than issues with the vehicle. However, if they're having these issues with the Taco's, I would imagine that someone in power would pull back on the reins before releasing another model with the exact same issues. That would be an absolute PR nightmare that Toyota would have a hard time pulling out of.

OP
OP
Scott2373

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
I found this on Reddit (NOTE: As of today, 7/4//2024, this info is already 1 year old!). The following was posted by an actual ex-Toyota engineer (1 YEAR AGO!):

I always see a lot of discussion/confusion around the arrival of the long-awaited 6th Gen 4Runner and I wanted to shed some light for people's planning and edification.

Even though it's not our model, and really not worth comparing, but the Tacoma goes hand in hand with the 4Runner due to it's size and targeted audience.

Currently, the Tacoma is in it's production quality confirmation phase. Meaning all the equipment in Guanajuato has been installed & is functioning, with Baja California not far behind it. The targeted start of production is Q3 of this year, meaning they will be producing the new gen Tacoma for model year 2024.

Why is this important? My career at Toyota showed that Toyota, regardless of whether it's produced in the US or Japan, does not launch a model back to back on the same model year. This is shown with the Tundra and Sequoia.

Sources confirm that the 4Runner, even with its delays, is about 12 months behind the Tacoma, when the original target was only 6-8 months.

So the information you care about: the quality confirmation & start of production of the 6th gen 4Runner will be in 2024, producing 2025 6th Gen 4Runners.

Order of trim levels is important to understand too, Toyota always starts with the SR5 and works their way up to the higher level trims. With the TRD Pro arriving late in the year or the next model year.

The vehicle will be out fitted with a 4cyl turbo & a 4cyl turbo hybrid assist (again look at the tundra, it's trim levels and engines).

The next thing for both vehicles that's currently in the works is a the EV versions of both the Tacoma & 4Runner, but those have not been comb through yet, so do not hold your breath on an EV 4Runner, if at all MY26 or more likely MY27.