Are the new BF Goodrich KO3 tires good enough for winter use?

Would you change over to a winter tire from KO3's for winter snow travel?

• Yes, definitely.

• No, KO3's are good enough.

Results are only viewable after voting.

kzrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner TRD off-road
I have a 2018 4Runner that I put KO3's on towards the beginning of the Summer.
I really like them, but now that Fall and Winter are heading towards us it got me thinking about what I want on the truck for playing in the snow.
I went online to Tire Rack and compared the ratings of the KO3 with a dedicated winter tire. To my surprise there really wasn't a whole lot of difference.
So I thought that I would do a poll and ask you all what you would do. Thanks.

OP
OP

kzrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beungood, thanks for the vote I appreciate it.

Old Spice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3 currently
KO3 supposed to be better than KO2 in wet & snow performance:

Here's a comparison

And here's more info from: https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/thr...rison-look-technical-analysis.1431/post-23047

When comparing BF Goodrich KO3 tires to KO2 tires, several key differences stand out.

Off-Road Performance: The KO2 tires are well-regarded for their exceptional off-road capabilities, particularly in challenging terrains like mud, snow, and rocks. They feature an aggressive tread pattern and robust construction, which provide excellent traction and durability. However, the KO3 tires offer enhanced off-road performance due to their fortified design, making them even more reliable in tough conditions.

On-Road Performance: The KO3 tires provide a smoother and quieter ride compared to the KO2. This improvement is due to the optimized tread pattern and advanced technology that reduce road noise and enhance comfort. The KO3 tires are designed to balance on-road comfort with off-road capability, making them a better choice for daily driving.

Wet and Snow Performance: The KO3 tires show significant advancements in wet and snow performance. They feature an improved tread design and softer rubber compound, which enhance traction and braking in wet conditions. The KO3 tires also perform better in snowy and icy conditions compared to the KO2, thanks to their updated siping and tread pattern.

Durability and Tread Life: The KO3 tires come with a longer treadwear warranty, often up to 60,000 miles, compared to the KO2's 50,000 miles. This indicates better durability and a longer lifespan for the KO3 tires. Additionally, the KO3 tires maintain their performance more consistently as they wear down, thanks to their higher silica content and lighter structure.

Comfort and Noise: The KO3 tires provide a more comfortable and quieter ride than the KO2. The newer design minimizes road noise and vibrations, enhancing the overall driving experience, especially on highways and paved roads.

Price and Fuel Efficiency: While the KO2 tires are slightly more affordable due to being an older model, the KO3 tires offer better fuel efficiency and performance features, justifying their slightly higher price point. The KO3's optimized tread design reduces rolling resistance, leading to better fuel economy.

OP
OP

kzrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KO3 supposed to be better than KO2 in wet & snow performance:

Here's a comparison

And here's more info from: https://www.4runner6g.com/forum/thr...rison-look-technical-analysis.1431/post-23047

When comparing BF Goodrich KO3 tires to KO2 tires, several key differences stand out.

Off-Road Performance: The KO2 tires are well-regarded for their exceptional off-road capabilities, particularly in challenging terrains like mud, snow, and rocks. They feature an aggressive tread pattern and robust construction, which provide excellent traction and durability. However, the KO3 tires offer enhanced off-road performance due to their fortified design, making them even more reliable in tough conditions.

On-Road Performance: The KO3 tires provide a smoother and quieter ride compared to the KO2. This improvement is due to the optimized tread pattern and advanced technology that reduce road noise and enhance comfort. The KO3 tires are designed to balance on-road comfort with off-road capability, making them a better choice for daily driving.

Wet and Snow Performance: The KO3 tires show significant advancements in wet and snow performance. They feature an improved tread design and softer rubber compound, which enhance traction and braking in wet conditions. The KO3 tires also perform better in snowy and icy conditions compared to the KO2, thanks to their updated siping and tread pattern.

Durability and Tread Life: The KO3 tires come with a longer treadwear warranty, often up to 60,000 miles, compared to the KO2's 50,000 miles. This indicates better durability and a longer lifespan for the KO3 tires. Additionally, the KO3 tires maintain their performance more consistently as they wear down, thanks to their higher silica content and lighter structure.

Comfort and Noise: The KO3 tires provide a more comfortable and quieter ride than the KO2. The newer design minimizes road noise and vibrations, enhancing the overall driving experience, especially on highways and paved roads.

Price and Fuel Efficiency: While the KO2 tires are slightly more affordable due to being an older model, the KO3 tires offer better fuel efficiency and performance features, justifying their slightly higher price point. The KO3's optimized tread design reduces rolling resistance, leading to better fuel economy.
I understand all that. I am trying to get a feeling for whether or not KO3's are close to being equal in the snow to dedicated snow tires.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I understand all that. I am trying to get a feeling for whether or not KO3's are close to being equal in the snow to dedicated snow tires.
No simple and true.
A dedicated winter is just that for "winter", I use nothing but a true winter tire in winter.
My life and family depend on it.
Just remember the life you save may just be your own.