High Output Onboard Inverter & Generator Mode (in Trailhunter) - Test Results

Old Spice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3 currently
Here's another great writeup by an owner at Tacoma4g who tested the Trailhunter model's 2400W 120V inverter in generator mode.

By @trailhunger

I recently tested the onboard 2400W 120V inverter on my Trailhunter, specifically to see how it performs in generator mode. Sharing my results and observations about how the truck’s hybrid system behaves, including when the engine cycles on and off. Hopefully, this helps others with similar questions about using the inverter in different power-draw scenarios. More tests to come including a peak 2400w and a DC-port side draw…

Truck Specs:

• Inverter: 2400W 120V AC
• Hybrid Battery Capacity: 1.87 kWh (NiMH) / test-unit power supply battery capacity: 1.4kWh solid state lithium

Test 1: 360W Continuous Load

• I set my power station to pull exactly 360W continuously from the truck’s inverter.
• With the truck off and the inverter running, I got the following engine cycles:
• Engine stayed off for 10 minutes while drawing 360W.
• Engine powdered on for 7 minutes to recharge the hybrid battery + supply 360w (continuous).
• After the engine shut off again, it stayed off for another 17 minutes, then ran for 6 minutes and 15 seconds before turning off again. (The longer engine off time can be attributed to the fact I made efforts to turn off all electrical systems on the truck during that cycle, including the infotainment screen, all dome lights, A/C, etc. the only thing I couldn’t turn off was the instrument cluster, which was dimmed to the lowest setting. So every watt counts if you’re looking to keep the engine from cycling frequently).

Test 2: 1117W Continuous Load

• I increased the load to 1117W.
• The engine stayed off for 8 minutes and 30 seconds before it kicked on to recharge. ~1/2 the inverter output capacity.

Key Insights from the Tests:

1. Usable Battery Capacity:
• At a 360W load, the hybrid battery provided about 60 Wh before the engine kicked on.
• At a 1117W load, it provided around 158 Wh before recharging.
• This suggests that the usable energy from the hybrid battery before the engine starts recharging can range from 60-158 Wh and possibly maxes at ~300w available, depending on the power draw. More on that below…
2. Engine Recharging Rate:
• During the 360W test, the engine seemed to recharge the battery at a rate of around 514W.
• In the 1117W test, the engine charged faster, around 1,516W.
• This suggests the truck’s charging rate scales with the power draw, increasing when larger loads are applied.
3. Engine Cycling Behavior:
• I noticed that the engine cycled similarly in both low and high-power tests, even though the load in the first test was only about a third of the power draw compared to the second.
• This might be due to the system’s focus on battery health, emissions, and fuel efficiency. The truck’s hybrid system likely aims to keep the battery within a specific charge range, preventing deep discharges and optimizing overall efficiency.
• It also keeps the battery ready for higher loads by maintaining a higher state of charge (SOC), ensuring the system can meet any quick power demands.

Initial takeaways for using the high output Inverter:

• For small loads (e.g., 360W), the engine will still cycle on relatively frequently, likely to protect the battery and keep the system ready for higher loads.
• The system seems to scale well with higher power demands, meaning it can handle larger loads without dramatically increasing engine runtime.

2025 Toyota 4runner High Output Onboard Inverter & Generator Mode (in Trailhunter) - Test Results img_6341-jpe

2025 Toyota 4runner High Output Onboard Inverter & Generator Mode (in Trailhunter) - Test Results img_6348-jpe