Manaul Transmission for 6th gen 2025 4Runner -- still possible?

Gastan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma TRD Pro
Hope that's the case, but the Supra is also a sports car, so the take rate probably higher for a manual transmission than it is for the 4Runner.

Has anyone seen any reason provided by Toyota as to why the Tacoma gets the manual but not the 4Runner? Same powertrain and platform so I woulda thought it'd be easy to just give an extra transmission option 🤷🏻‍♂️

Tire Fryer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford F250 7.3 4x4
Bummer. Initially was going to get a manual Tacoma but decided to wait and see after looking at the new 4Runner. Now with the possibility of a manual being available in the future, I may keep holding my breath. Could use a new truck/suv but not in a rush...

nighthawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rav4 XSE
Hope that's the case, but the Supra is also a sports car, so the take rate probably higher for a manual transmission than it is for the 4Runner.

Has anyone seen any reason provided by Toyota as to why the Tacoma gets the manual but not the 4Runner? Same powertrain and platform so I woulda thought it'd be easy to just give an extra transmission option 🤷🏻‍♂️
Mostly due to extra cost to get the transmission/engine combo certified. Each different combo needs to go through certification for each vehicle, so even though it went through all the testing for the Tacoma, to put that same powertrain combo into the 4Runner requires Toyota to do the same certifications for the 4Runner.

The feeling by Toyota probably is that there are more people who would by a manual Tacomo than there are people wanting a manual 4Runner I guess. It's basically Toyota doesn't deem it worth the money to invest in all the regulatory stuff to get a manual 4Runner out.

I can say for myself, if there was a new manual 4Runner, I'd be all over it.

Tire Fryer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1996 Ford F250 7.3 4x4
How cool a Gen 1 tribute with a manual be? Sure, there wouldn't a line waiting for a 6MT (or anything manual on any vehicle today) but for guys like me that still have a manual in the garage it would be cool. My first 4Runner was a '95 V6 auto and it at speeds it was just a mighty thirsty snail. If Toyota grows some balls and builds a production 6MT 4Runner, it may be the last new vehicle I will purchase, for a long while at least.

My other option will be a 7MT Bronco. I don't think the Bronco is a close competitor to the 4Runner but the manual transmission is enough of a cool factor to trip that switch. Keeping a close eye on the market developments...