Review of Tacoma TRD Pro from TCCN

Positronic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
prior 1st gen 4Runner Turbo
Evening all,

Realizing the link below is a Tacoma review so mods let me know if that is a no no around here but i'm looking at alot of 2024 Tacoma review stuff to get an idea of what we're looking at with the 2025 4Runner hybrid as they share the drivetrain and several other similarities. I appreciate TCCN's reviews as they are typically very thorough and have a good perspective from a mechanic/maintainers point of view. There are alot of big positives i'm taking away from this review on overall drivetrain and construction but some of the negatives, while they can be considered nitpicky, do have me slightly concerned about whether they show up on the 4Runner when it gets here as well. Below are just a couple points i see as takeways.

Positives:
1- Overall construction looks good and drivetrain has alot of power and feels great
2- 4Runner wont have the Tacoma off-road suspension seats so i'm thinking legroom in the back and overall seat control will be a bigger positive on the 4Runner along with what i've seen in other reviews that the interior panels/components aren't as "cheap and plasticy"
3- Exterior of the truck and wide stance look awesome and I cant wait to see the aftermarket for it!
4- 4Runner shouldn't have any of the complaints about the weird additional antenna on the back window or any of the truck bed complains
5- Still really liking the interior layout on the Tacoma's and upcoming 4Runner.

Negatives:
1- The hood shake/vibration while driving is very noticeable and i've seen this pointed out on other new owner reviews of the truck
2- Front grille and fender paint quality, while this is no surprise and there will be ways to protect it, seems like this particular truck in the review already has alot of scuffing and irregularities in the paint application.

Anyway, curious as to everyone else's thoughts on this review and any other comparisons with the 2024 TRD Pro Taco's

Review Link :

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
I was going to post this video, but ya beat me to it. I really appreciate the fact that this guy is a dyed in the wool Toyota fan, yet he doesn't hold back on the criticism. I enjoy his videos and the guy really knows his stuff! I completely agree with him. It seems like Toyota, the company that over-engineered everything, now seems to be cutting corners. That hood, though! VERY eye-opening! Yet the price of these vehicles is only going up, up, up. It's disappointing to say the least. Where is this company heading? Is Toyota the smart choice, going into the future?

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
From what I thought I heard, it's only the Pro that the hood shakes.
Ya, but like he says - This is the $65,000 Halo model and they couldn't put a gasket around the hood to prevent it from doing that? The designers, engineers and testers all looked at that and said, "Yup, looks groovy - send it!"? Really?

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
From what I thought I heard, it's only the Pro that the hood shakes.
Should we ever be making such a statement such as " it's only this model or that minor issue" these are very expensive vehicles here not a used and abused 10 year old model. We need to stop giving car manufacturers reasons to be complacent, after all this is people's hard earned money.