High octane gas only for Hybrid 4Runner?

Clodydeloady

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GCL Overland 2021
My next question is: will the i-Force Max Hybrid 4Runner take High Octane gas only like the LC ?

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
My next question is: will the i-Force Max Hybrid 4Runner take High Octane gas only like the LC ?
I don't know why the LC is 91 octane only, but it is not that way for the Tacoma hybrid. The Tacoma hybrid is 87 Octane or higher. Specifically called out in the hybrid manual. Same as virtually every other non-luxury vehicle. Very strange that it would be different for the exact same engine. There must be something specific to the tuning going on.

I would expect the 4Runner to line up with the Tacoma much more than the Land Cruiser.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
I don't know about the LC being high octane only, but that does not sound right. The Tacoma hybrid is 87 Octane or higher. Specifically called out in the hybrid manual. Same as virtually every other non-luxury vehicle.
LC taking premium, 91 min or higher is correct. Something about it being a luxury vehicle. I pulled this screenshot from the LC forums.

2025 Toyota 4runner High octane gas only for Hybrid 4Runner? 1717011068920-ix

So....I am hopeful that 4R doesn't follow the same way.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LC taking premium, 91 min or higher is correct. Something about it being a luxury vehicle. I pulled this screenshot from the LC forums.

1717011068920-ix.png

So....I am hopeful that 4R doesn't follow the same way.
Yeah, I edited my post earlier, but I had not seen your reply to it. This is just strange to me. Why would the same engine with the same power ratings (346 hp and 465 lb.-ft) require different octane gas? Tacoma hybrid clearly states 87 in the manual (pg 591 BTW). What is different?

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yeah, I edited my post earlier, but I had not seen your reply to it. This is just strange to me. Why would the same engine with the same power ratings (346 hp and 465 lb.-ft) require different octane gas? Tacoma hybrid clearly states 87 in the manual (pg 591 BTW). What is different?
It is all in the branding, hey I drive a LC and need Premium fuel! You are only in a Tacoma and regular gas will do! 🤷🏼‍♂️😉

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
There is a post on the Land Cruiser forum in regard to demanding premium fuel, and a response from a Toyota employee. According to this "insider", who has contacts with the engineering/design team, the LC will accommodate regular fuel, and adjust accordingly, albeit with a tad less performance and fuel economy. Sounds reasonable to me. Undoubtedly Toyota had a MPG goal in mind for the LC, and this is how it was achieved.

kzrman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner TRD off-road
There is a post on the Land Cruiser forum in regard to demanding premium fuel, and a response from a Toyota employee. According to this "insider", who has contacts with the engineering/design team, the LC will accommodate regular fuel, and adjust accordingly, albeit with a tad less performance and fuel economy. Sounds reasonable to me. Undoubtedly Toyota had a MPG goal in mind for the LC, and this is how it was achieved.
Was this for a 2024 LC? If it wasn't I wonder if there are design differences.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Was this for a 2024 LC? If it wasn't I wonder if there are design differences.
Yes, the 2024 LC. Attempting to locate the post. Possibly it was taken down, as he was sharing non-public information.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
Yes, the 2024 LC. Attempting to locate the post. Possibly it was taken down, as he was sharing non-public information.
Doesn’t matter about a he said/ she said. If the door and manual say premium fuel only. Then I ain’t about to gamble my warranty. Are you?

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Doesn’t matter about a he said/ she said. If the door and manual say premium fuel only. Then I ain’t about to gamble my warranty. Are you?
I would probably need further corroborating information, such as how the system can adjust for fuel octane. Most modern engines have knock sensors, etc. The fuel door says "Premium Fuel", but does not specify an octane value. The owners manual recommends 91 for "optimum engine performance", but does not have any other cautions, such as voiding the warranty or causing damage.

"Select premium unleaded
gasoline with an octane rating
of 91 (Research Octane Number
96) or higher required for
optimum engine performance
and fuel economy."

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I would probably need further corroborating information, such as how the system can adjust for fuel octane. Most modern engines have knock sensors, etc. The fuel door says "Premium Fuel", but does not specify an octane value. The owners manual recommends 91 for "optimum engine performance", but does not have any other cautions, such as voiding the warranty or causing damage.

"Select premium unleaded
gasoline with an octane rating
of 91 (Research Octane Number
96) or higher required for
optimum engine performance
and fuel economy."
It’s your dime do as you may. I for one won’t trust that argument on a warranty battle. Not for thousands of dollars for an engine replacement .
Peace and good luck.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats Toyota. You got one more mpg on the highway. Same for the others.

...yes I know it isn't apples to apples.