4Runner won't have a frame mounted bump stop (just like the Tacoma)

Azimuth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorento
You may have seen the video where a shock broke on the new Tacoma with moderate offroading. It seems that the 4Runner will be following the same footsteps.

Jucame63

First Name
Juan Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner Trd Off Road V6
Toyota engineers need to go overlanding and drive the south Cal swoops so they have a better understanding of how to design and built reliable and bullet proof trucks.

Salukidawg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota 4Runner
I just saw a video of somebody taking their Tacoma TRD OR on a washboard type road and he ran over a pothole in the road and it drove the Bilstein shocks on the front passenger side up through the top of the cast aluminum top hat and up into the upper control arm housing on the truck. Apparently Toyota decided to take the bump stops off the frame and put them on the shock itself like you would for a unibody CUV or car. The Landcruiser 250/GX550 and the Landcruiser 300/LX600 along with the Tundra/Sequoia all have the frame mounted bumpstops still. The 5th Gen 4Runner has frame mounted bumpstops. The 4th Gen Tacoma and 6th Gen 4Runner do not anymore. This looks like a major oversight on Toyota’s part. How would you like to be 20 miles off the main road doing some Baja style run in your new TRD Pro and have shock go through the top hat? I think this is the last straw to push me over to the Landcruiser 250. I can’t justify spending nearly the same money as the Landcruiser for an inferior off road product. Make sure you do your due diligence before pulling the trigger on a new 4Runner is my advice to everyone.

Bronconomore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I just saw a video of somebody taking their Tacoma TRD OR on a washboard type road and he ran over a pothole in the road and it drove the Bilstein shocks on the front passenger side up through the top of the cast aluminum top hat and up into the upper control arm housing on the truck. Apparently Toyota decided to take the bump stops off the frame and put them on the shock itself like you would for a unibody CUV or car. The Landcruiser 250/GX550 and the Landcruiser 300/LX600 along with the Tundra/Sequoia all have the frame mounted bumpstops still. The 5th Gen 4Runner has frame mounted bumpstops. The 4th Gen Tacoma and 6th Gen 4Runner do not anymore. This looks like a major oversight on Toyota’s part. How would you like to be 20 miles off the main road doing some Baja style run in your new TRD Pro and have shock go through the top hat? I think this is the last straw to push me over to the Landcruiser 250. I can’t justify spending nearly the same money as the Landcruiser for an inferior off road product. Make sure you do your due diligence before pulling the trigger on a new 4Runner is my advice to everyone.
Most won't care as long as it looks pretty and has all the latest technology. Only matters to the true off roaders that they are making these vehicles "mall crawling pavement pounders."