Share your new truck purchase experience

Cajun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Coming soon
The point of this post is to help people (like myself) that don't buy new vehicle's every year.

I walked in, suggested to speak to the sales manager and was driving away in a brand new 2015 Tundra a hour later. I think I got a pretty good deal, but this was 10 years ago. I'm thinking about trying it again when they get the first trucks on the lot.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
This is definitely a different market though it has cooled significantly since since the COVID hit. I'm not sure if you want to do this immediately after the start hitting the lots. Realistically, I think we are looking at multiple months of the vehicles being purchased before they even arrive. At least for the higher trims anyway. I think this will be the case even if there is a significant downturn. There are just too many 4Runner fans out there.

Looking at the Tacoma it is a bit of a strange case. Yes, there are cases of Tacomas not selling and sitting on the lots, but from what I've seen that is mostly just the lower trims. It is still bellow what I think dealers had pre-COVID for on-site stock. Higher trims, and especially the hybrids, are not making it to lots much. I stop by my local lot every other week or so and I have yet to see a truck with a 14" screen.

Now Tacoma production is still ramping up and it appears it has been much slower for the higher trims for some reason. I think they might have misjudged the demand. Also, hybrids are just NOW starting to be delivered.

Anyway, I expect something similar for 4Runners. If you are going to be buying shortly after the arrive I think you will be better served to negotiate over email for the best price you can get then reserve it. Just my two cents though.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
My previous experiences Saturn, Mazda and Ford I walked in and essentially walked out with a car. My Subie, I had to put my name on an inbound one, or a list, whichever came first due to popularity. I was shocked, I couldn't just get one. I had to wait 3-4 months.

The LC, I put my name on a list, then moved it to 4R. Now I wait. According to the sales guy, there aren't many on the list, but I am not sure how true that is.
Imagine my surprise when I got a call from my local dealership this morning about if I was still interested in the LC. I guess someone must have walked away as they were seriously dangling the carrot in front of me.

Maybe the market is cooling that much that people aren't willing to sign up for that loan. I for one, this time, am saving up money to put a significant down as I just do not want that high monthly with the interest rate it comes with.

My recommendation is; be willing to know your limit, what is important to you (color, trim, leather vs cloth whatever), and be willing to walk. Good sales people can read body language, it's their job to close the sale.
For me, I am not sure I'm that interested in the 70K LC that is literally on a lot, right now....but it sure is tempting. ;)

Scott2373

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JLU
Do a ton of research online on car buying tips and hints. Figure out what money can be negotiated and what can't. Educate yourself on taxes and interest rates. KNOW YOUR CREDIT SCORE! I've actually had some less scrupulous dealers try to tell me that I don't qualify for a low interest rate because of my poor credit score. That's when I pull out my credit report. KNOW WHAT YOU'RE BUYING MUCH BETTER THAN THE DEALER! I can't tell you how far this goes! When you make the dealer look like a schmuck, they begin to understand that YOU'RE NOT! As soon as they realize this, then it's more business, less bullshit. BE COURTEOUS AND RESPECTFUL! When you start acting like a contentious prick, they will respond in kind and completely stop dealing with you. They don't have time for your BS. I've always custom ordered my vehicles and never paid anywhere close to MSRP. My 2018 F150 MSRP'd over $52,000. I bought it for $13,500 under MSRP. TIMING IS CRITICAL! These days, the markets are different and the deals may not be out there, especially on a newly redesigned, much anticipated model. Anyway, do your research and don't get hosed!

visually oriented

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi Q3
In my experience, buying a new generation vehicle as soon as they hit the lots is a good way to overpay. Personally, I'm going to wait for the initial hoopla to pass before I try to make a deal. Waiting also provides more time to research and see the more in-depth reviews before committing to the purchase.