Test Drove the LC Today…

Kuzco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 VW Golf R
And I think I’m going to go with it. The in person look, dimensions, and subjective obscurity of seeing as many LC’s on the road have swayed me. Since being interested in the 6th Gen, the effect of noticing all the other 4Runners on the road (CO) was eye opening. I counted 15 today in the grocery store parking lot. I know that they are popular for a reason, but the appeal of having something that isn’t quite as common sways me.

In addition to this, and as a never 4Runner owner before, the amount of brodozer types in the community are a real turn off. Sort of like WRX vape bros and wanting to stay at two arm lengths there….

Curious to hear this forum’s thoughts/ insights and if anyone else has been on the fence since test driving the 2024 LC.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
As someone who drives an Outback. Another extremely popular car. I was cautious too. But then, I’m part of a group of people who love their car and is/was popular for a reason.
I see the 4R in the same way.

enjoy the LC. Driving should be fun. Get out there! 👍

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
A deciding factor for me is the 4Runner only offers full-time 4WD in the top trim, whereas all LC's have the Torsen center differential. Also, it seems they have regressed with the 2025 4Runner, as the interior front is virtually identical to the new Tacoma. When it was first introduced, the 4Runner was essentially a modified Taco.

MJE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Sport
I’m certainly curious to check both out & evaluate from there. Since I don’t need to rush on a decision I can afford to wait until both are available on the lot. I think either would make a fine choice.

andim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Cherokee Trailhawk
For me the full time AWD could be the main reason to go with the LC. I’m in the northeast so streets with snow covered and clear pavement are frequent. Off roading at trails worse than bad dirt roads is rare. All time 4WD is more useful here. It will depend on price though. If a well equipped TRF off road premium is ten grand less than a LC then I guess I go with the 4Runner. But if it’s only 5 grand the the LC may be the better value. I guess the a LC that I want is 67k. A 4Runner with similar features could be easily 60k. The 4Runner platinum with all time 4WD is certainly too close to a LC in price and then I would choose the LC.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
For me the full time AWD could be the main reason to go with the LC. I’m in the northeast so streets with snow covered and clear pavement are frequent. Off roading at trails worse than bad dirt roads is rare. All time 4WD is more useful here. It will depend on price though. If a well equipped TRF off road premium is ten grand less than a LC then I guess I go with the 4Runner. But if it’s only 5 grand the the LC may be the better value. I guess the a LC that I want is 67k. A 4Runner with similar features could be easily 60k. The 4Runner platinum with all time 4WD is certainly too close to a LC in price and then I would choose the LC.
My guess it will depend on what addons you have. That holds true for the LC as well with that premium package.

et2041

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition
I currently own a 2012 4runner Trail edition. I hope to trade and get a new 2025 4runner but I have also researched the new LC and have been impressed. BUT- there are two (2) issues that preclude buying a Land Cruiser:

1. AWD. AWD typically causes lower gas mileage and I would rather want something I can control myself via transfer case or electronically to only use 4WD when needed.

2. The Land Cruiser requires PREMIUM fuel vs. Regular fuel for the upcoming 2025 4runner. The additional cost of ownership of .50+ cent per gallon is a no go with me, and I live in Wisconsin where our fuel prices are nowhere near the west coast etc.

I also would want to add some mods to it for off roading, so the extra costs just wouldn't make it worthy for me.

kobyneal

First Name
Kolby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda CRV
I also test drove an LC premium pkg the other day along with a Tacoma limited. Obviously subjective, but theses were my biggest takeaways:
- the interior of the LC is far and away better/more luxurious than the Tacoma (and thus I assume 4Runner). After the leather in the LC, the soft Tex and significantly more plastic/plastic feel in the Tacoma felt like moving to a base Kia.
- it’s been noted previously by Tacoma owners, but the Tacoma truly floats. The ride was noticeably more comfortable/smoother than the LC
- the full time 4 wheel drive of the LC made it feel much more responsive and really felt like it wanted to get up and go
- the LC felt huge! but the views and angles were much better (imo) compared to the Tacoma
- ultimately there are no wrong answers or choices between the 4Runner and LC, but assuming the 4Runner is very similar to the Tacoma, it would be hard to take it over the LC (coming from someone who has a 4Runner pro on order - and now also has an LC on order 😛)

Snowdogyyz

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco Wildtrak
I have read numerous reports that premium fuel is recommended but not required. You’ll probably get more power and better fuel mileage running premium if it’s similar to my Bronco.

et2041

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Toyota 4runner Trail Edition
I would be surprised if the '25 4runnner would require premium. My wife's new Crown Platinum has a Hybrid Max that only requires regular. I don't believe any 4runner has required premium as well.

Last edited:

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
If this is the LC, it says on the fuel cap door "premium fuel". As a rule follower, not sure I would deviate from that myself.
I keep looking at it as an option, but I step away as I not particularly keen on the premium pieces that allude to a cost of upkeep. I'm staring down the barrel of retirement in sight, these kind of things matter.

Choices :)

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Ended up test driving the LC today after I test drove a Taco. Man, it's a nice drive. Makes choices really hard.

pisces22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Honda Accord
The 2024 LC owner's manual reads "Select premium unleaded gasoline with an octane rating of 91 (Research Octane Number 96) or higher required for optimum engine performance and fuel economy."

If the engine is identical to the 2025 4Runner, wouldn't the fuel recommendation be the same? Or does the full-time 4WD become a factor?

OP
OP
Kuzco

Kuzco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 VW Golf R
2025 Toyota 4runner Test Drove the LC Today… IMG_2876

Pulled the trigger last week. Person ahead of us backed out on their deposit and we were next on the list for the exact spec at MSRP. It is truly a fantastic machine. Can’t wait to do some challenging trails!