Transmission overheating in the new Tacoma

yosemitesam00001

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Sport
I understand there have been a number of 2024 iforce Tacomas with both manual an automatic transmissions that have overheated or failed altogether. Since the automatic is the part of the same powertrain as the 2025 4Runner, I have to ask: How many have failed and what is Toyota doing to fix or replace these?

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
This begs the question, is the automatic transmission cooler identical in the 2024 Taco and 2024 Land Cruiser, and is the LC experiencing any failures?

Jucame63

First Name
Juan Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 4runner Trd Off Road V6
I watched a couple of videos about it and it looks pretty bad.
A similar situation happened with the 2017 camry when the new model was released. It had transmission failures that were corrected for the following year model.

The problem for new Tacoma owners is that there are no transmissions available and it may take 2 to 4 months for Toyota to have them available as replacement.
This will force the dealers to buy the Tacomas back under Lemon Law.

Theintrnasmissionnissue with the 4 Cyl engines is likely to spill over the LC 250 and 4runner and this will be pretty bad for Toyota and the owners of the vehicles.

I have been following closely since the first V6 issues were made public and I am staying away from buying any new Toyota.

The issues with the V6 engine and the 4 cyl transmission failures emphasize the importance of never buying a newly released model. It is recommended to wait 2 to 3 years so all the issues have been corrected.

The question is why are these things happening so often with new model releases?

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
If Toyota loses their edge in regard to reliability and longevity, they have lost it, period. A big risk in my opinion, jumping into small turbo engines cranking out high HP and torque. So far, as least to my knowledge, the 2.4 turbo engine has been solid. Hopefully they incorporate a decent tranny cooler on the LC and the 2025 4Runner. One thing we have going for us, the LC, and presumably the 4Runner, are/will be made in Japan. However, too old (82) to wait 2-3 years for our queued LC. Going to risk it...

LessFrequent

First Name
Less
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tundra TRD OffRoad
If Toyota loses their edge in regard to reliability and longevity, they have lost it, period. A big risk in my opinion, jumping into small turbo engines cranking out high HP and torque. So far, as least to my knowledge, the 2.4 turbo engine has been solid. Hopefully they incorporate a decent tranny cooler on the LC and the 2025 4Runner. One thing we have going for us, the LC, and presumably the 4Runner, are/will be made in Japan. However, too old (82) to wait 2-3 years for our queued LC. Going to risk it...
Agree. You only live once (maybe)...

Moore_Coop

First Name
Cooper
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I’m hoping that by the time the 2025 4Runner rolls out, at worst there will be replacement transmissions available, and at best it’s been sorted.

edit* I just found this video and wanted to share it.

Last edited:

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Is it really an issue? I tried to find something in the last 30 days, not much out there.
This is the only video that I could find.

The hybrid just launched and not sure it's even in the states yet. I feel like we just don't have enough info to go on yet?

For me, my car has hit 101K, I'm still aiming for the 25 4R. I don't have much a backup car in mind if this falls through.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Is it really an issue? I tried to find something in the last 30 days, not much out there.
This is the only video that I could find.

The hybrid just launched and not sure it's even in the states yet. I feel like we just don't have enough info to go on yet?

For me, my car has hit 101K, I'm still aiming for the 25 4R. I don't have much a backup car in mind if this falls through.
Have you given any consideration to the new Land Cruiser?

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Have you given any consideration to the new Land Cruiser?
Yup! I came from there to here. Fully built the way I wanted and the Premium gas thing, pass.
Besides, I like the looks of the 4R more.

Heavily leaning towards a TRD OR Prem package.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
Hopefully the new 4R will be built in Japan. From reading, it would appear that premium fuel will not be a necessity in the LC, and the warranty will not be jeopardized by using regular. Toyota had an MPG goal for the LC, and could only meet it with premium fuel. Good luck on your 4Runner! We have owned one in the past, and loved it. We have aged, and the LC is a better fit now.