Availability of full-time 4wd + 3rd row seat?

badfish8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4Runner SR5 Premium
Trying to understand if this would an option for the 6th gen, to have both full-time 4wd and 3rd row seat.

Based on the available information it seems possible for the Limited trim only.

According to the press release and official videos (https://pressroom.toyota.com/2025-toyota-4runner-refines-adventure-ready-heritage/) 3rd row is available on SR5 and Limited trims, and full-time 4wd is available as an option on the Limited as well.

However it also appears to say that full-time 4wd will only be available on the hybrid Limited, and the general consensus seems to be 3rd row is not compatible with the hybrid due to the space occupied by the battery.

On the other hand, the Limited prototype, which is not a hybrid, has full-time 4wd (you can see L4L, H4L, and H4F on the shifter in multiple videos). So maybe full-time 4wd is available without the hybrid?

Not sure if anyone would have any insight on this.

Clodydeloady

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GCL Overland 2021
That’s exactly what I want a Limited AWD non hybrid! We should be able to get more details soon. I’m just too old and stubborn to believe that carrying a 900 lbs battery in the trunk is good for me, and it will totally destroy my truck if it caches on fire. All that to save a bit a fuel.

Nuke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Highlander Platinum
That’s exactly what I want a Limited AWD non hybrid! We should be able to get more details soon. I’m just too old and stubborn to believe that carrying a 900 lbs battery in the trunk is good for me, and it will totally destroy my truck if it caches on fire. All that to save a bit a fuel.
The fire risk should not be a problem, presuming they use a NiMH battery, as opposed to Li-Ion.

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester and Ascent
Trying to understand if this would an option for the 6th gen, to have both full-time 4wd and 3rd row seat.

Based on the available information it seems possible for the Limited trim only.

According to the press release and official videos (https://pressroom.toyota.com/2025-toyota-4runner-refines-adventure-ready-heritage/) 3rd row is available on SR5 and Limited trims, and full-time 4wd is available as an option on the Limited as well.

However it also appears to say that full-time 4wd will only be available on the hybrid Limited, and the general consensus seems to be 3rd row is not compatible with the hybrid due to the space occupied by the battery.

On the other hand, the Limited prototype, which is not a hybrid, has full-time 4wd (you can see L4L, H4L, and H4F on the shifter in multiple videos). So maybe full-time 4wd is available without the hybrid?

Not sure if anyone would have any insight on this.
You pretty much summed it up there. I don't believe there is anything additional anyone has to add. I think we can say for sure only the limited and platinum will have full-time 4wd. However, the other information we have is conflicting. Yes the prototype was a non-hybrid with full-time 4wd, but the official press release appears to say it is for the hybrid only.

My best guess is that it will be on the limited non-hybrid. It is easy to make typos and mistakes on a press release. However, that is not a mistake that would be made with a prototype vehicle. That is not a guarantee by any means. The vehicle could just be to test different features even if it isn't a supported configuration, or they could have changed their plans since the prototype was started. After all, FT 4WD is only on the Tacoma Limited Hybrid so it makes sense.

Honestly, it feels like it could go either way (50/50). We won't know for sure until we get additional information. Considering recent dealer talk, it sounds like we might have quite a bit longer to wait for that. Probably looking like sometime this fall.