Stay AWAY! Transmission issue in Tacoma

ngfilla94

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 4Runner Trail
My theory: The "supply chain delay" is a multi-faceted response to hopefully resolve the transmission issues being seen in the Tacomas, as well as the added drag on their resources regarding the Tundra engine recall/replacement. My hope is that they are trying to resolve issues before pushing out 4Runners with potential problems. Maybe it's a design rev on the transmissions. Build process refinement. Could be a multitude of things. At the end of the day, the consumer should not be part of the testing/development phase (looking at you, Tesla). As bad as I want a 6th gen, I'm happy to wait if it means I get a better product.

TRD_GUY

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Looks like Toyota is having some serious problems with the transmissions on the new Tacomas. Considering the 4R is getting the exact same power train, I would seriously advise everyone to take a step back and see how they handle this before jumping into a new 4Runner. After reading a lot of info online, it seems like the issue is seriously understated. I get that Toyota has to protect their reputation and play damage control, but I think the cat's outta the bag on this one! Is Toyota forsaking their own values and going cheap-o? Let's hope not!
This is new 8 speed tranny, correct? Any more information on this issue? Perhaps this is what is causing delays with the 2025 4-Runners.

jnsplace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
This is new 8 speed tranny, correct? Any more information on this issue? Perhaps this is what is causing delays with the 2025 4-Runners.
Re delays: They already said it's a supply chain issue that affects all three models (LX, LC and 4R). Considering it's the same plant as LC, then it very likely is the roof racks. seems many of port holds due to cross bars not being available. With the 4R producing in greater numbers, they probably don't want the same issue on launch.

Not sure about the trans issues. Same engine, different plants.....too early to tell perhaps.

Old Spice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
X3 currently
Here's the official TSB for diagnosis & fix of the 2024 Tacoma transmission failures :

2025 Toyota 4runner Stay AWAY! Transmission issue in Tacoma TSB 2024 tacoma transmission failure issue

So at least Toyota has officially acknowledged the issue and has a fix for it in place. Good timing ahead of 4Runner release so as to make sure the 2025 4Runner doesn't have the same issue.

TRD_GUY

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Re delays: They already said it's a supply chain issue that affects all three models (LX, LC and 4R). Considering it's the same plant as LC, then it very likely is the roof racks. seems many of port holds due to cross bars not being available. With the 4R producing in greater numbers, they probably don't want the same issue on launch.

Not sure about the trans issues. Same engine, different plants.....too early to tell perhaps.
Doesn't seem to be a supply chain issue based on the TSB that's been released.

TRD_GUY

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Here's the official TSB for diagnosis & fix of the 2024 Tacoma transmission failures :

TSB 2024 tacoma transmission failure issue.jpg

So at least Toyota has officially acknowledged the issue and has a fix for it in place. Good timing ahead of 4Runner release so as to make sure the 2025 4Runner doesn't have the same issue.
Does it say anywhere what the estimated time to fix is? Like, it's it a 30 min job or 3 hours.

TRD_GUY

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
That was Toyota’s response. And I still believe it’s true.
Transmission issue could be done in parallel.
Something tells me, you believe that anything related to a delay is supply chain related. You sounds like a dealer.

Clodydeloady

First Name
Claude
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep GCL Overland 2021
First , are the Tacoma transmissions build in North America? I presumed the 4Runner is fully Japan build! Why would they be an issue or delay for the 4 Runner?